Re: [COAS-List] Thank you ...

Gunther,
Thank-you for your kind words and the opportunity.

If we cannot attain constructive criticism for the work that we do we might as well throw in the towel. Exposing ideas, thoughts, designs, etc. is the only true way in which broad consensus can occur and hopefully in the end result in more complete solutions.

I believe that we are very close on HL7 V3 data types and what we have modeled in COAS. I came away with some good feedback and made some modifications. I will send them as soon as I have a free minute.

Tom

Thomas C. Culpepper
Applied Technology Research Group
3M Health Information Systems
575 West Murray Blvd
Murray, Utah 84123
(801)265-4534
tcculpepper@wpmail.code3.com

>>> Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.rg.iupui.edu> 02/02 10:21 AM >>>
Tom, Larry, and Konstantin,

with this note I want to thank you very much for comming to the last
HL7 meeting in Orlando. I appreciate your crossing the border and
expose your ideas and yourselves to a different culture. I almost feel
guilty for the many criticism you have earned. I want you to know that
none of the criticism was meant to be total, in no way did I (nor
anyone else) want to reinforce any notion of superiority/inferiority
in comparing your work with what HL7 is doing.

I usually say what I mean quite frankly, and sometimes things come up
harsh. But I do so with an attitude of "sportsmenship", regarding
highly the dignity of the other party. The topic was my main concern,
not the politics around it---though, I admit that none of us can be
completely free of organizational loyalty or loyalty toward his own
ideas. Since this was the first and probably only opportunity for a
face to face meeting, and since my time is limited so that I can not
commit major slices on COAS (or HRAC), I spoke right out what my
concerns were.

I am also willing to accept your concerns about what HL7 is doing, and
I am looking forward to more "interference" with each other for the
sake of harmonization and mutual understanding.

Thanks so much for coming.
regards
-Gunther

Gunther Schadow ----------------------------------- http://aurora.rg.iupui.edu
Regenstrief Institute for Health Care
1001 W 10th Street RG5, Indianapolis IN 46202, Phone: (317) 630 7960
schadow@aurora.rg.iupui.edu ---------------------- #include <usual/disclaimer>