Re: [COAS-List] tentative model of CEN PT27

At 10.03 02/02/99 -0700, Tom Culpepper wrote:

>>>My concern about COAS is that its model is very general,
>>>whereas the models in the HL7 RIM (or the equivalent in CEN)
>>>are specific.
>
>The COAS model is a logical view.
>The logical view of a system describes the existence
>and meaning of the key abstractions that form the design.
>
>What we are providing with COAS is an access service
>to medical information. These services allow you to ask questions
>of some Server that will then return to you
>the pertinent information you requested.
>In an object-oriented world what I believe CEN and HL7
>are providing are the attributes and not the methods or behaviors.
>COAS is providing the behaviors.

what I cannot understand (I apologize for my ignorance
about the actual mechanisms in the object-oriented world)
is how it will be possible to distinguish the behavior
of a whole section from the behavior of a little semantic network
expressing a phrase, if these constructs are not yet
standardized.

In other words, I must know very well each server,
in order to ask them the questions in the suitable way.
If I change the server, I believe that I have no means to
reuse the previous ones
or to make automatic transformations to my queries,
because the detailed models within the server are not specified.