Workshop

There will be a research workshop to be held on this Friday (2/26),
2:30PM, in room ECS281. Our visiting professor Dr. Xudong He
will talk about his and our joint research. See attached for the
abstract
of the talk. Please make an effort to attend!

-- Yi Deng

A Formal Method for Developing Concurrent and Distributed Systems

Dr. Xudong He
North Dakota State University

Abstract

Many formal methods have been proposed to develop more reliable software
systems over the past three decades. In this talk, a particular formal
method, called hierarchical predicate transition nets (a type of
hierarchical high-level Petri nets), for developing concurrent and
distributed software systems is introduced. A formal transformational
software development model based on hierarchical predicate transition
nets is proposed. The model outlines a systematic software development
process, in which hierarchical predicate transition nets are used for
(1) requirements specification, (2) specification validation, (3)
specification transformation, (4) specification verification, (5) code
generation, and (6) testing. Our main results on developing and using
hierarchical predicate transition nets in the past decade are presented
and demonstrated through a simple example. Current and future research
is discussed.