[COAS-List] Re: CORBAMed Demo in Sun Booth

This looks good.

Jon Farmer writes:
 > Tony,
 > We envision the following CORBAMed demo for the Sun booth:
 >
 > - Just PIDS (Person Identification Service) - no other specs as I had
 > earlier suggested.
 > - PIDS Clients by Care Data Systems and Los Alamos National Labs (LANL)
 > - PIDS Implementations by Protocol Systems, Care Data Systems, and Possibly
 > LANL.
 > - Possible remote access from CareFlow/Net
 > The intent would be to demonstrate plug-and-play interoperability among
 > PIDS-compliant clients and servers
 >
 > The Resources we request:
 > - We understand there would be one pedestal available with adjacent sign
 > space (we will coordinate with Jytte)
 > - The pedestal would be attended by rotation of people from the participants
 > and possibly OMG.
 > - Our client-side programs require JVM 1.1 (or higher if 1.1-compatible).
 > - You have indicated that your Solaris machine will include Netscape's
 > Latest  Browser
 > - The Ultra 10 processor should suffice if it contains the JIT compiler with
 > the JDK;  Otherwise the ultra 60 would be preferable.
 >
 > Connectivity
 > We are hoping to minimize the need for network connectivity beyond the booth
 > LAN, because last year's CORBAMed demo particpants encountered a horrendous
 > and costly administrative fiasco in securing inter-booth communications.
 > Here is our proposed "server placement plan":
 >
 > - Protocol's implementation runs inside their Vital Signs Monitoring System,
 > which they customarily run in your booth at HIMSS.  Please confirm that
 > Protocol may again run their system locally in your booth.
 > - Care Data would supply a minitower server to be placed in your booth
 > closet
 > - LANL's implementation could run on an internet site, the Sun closet, or
 > possibly execute the client box itself (I believe it is purely java and uses
 > no RDBMS).  I will confirm this with the LANL person.

We actually are using a pure Java RDBMS which runs with no installation
on any Java platform, so we don't anticipate any problems here.  We
could run with an ODBMS (Poet), but that would have to be installed
separately and isn't really needed here.  Because of the light weight
nature of our server, we could run 3-4 or more servers and demonstrate
how one can easily run with multiple servers and have them all talking
through the trader.   We could use some sample data for populating them,
however.

It would be nice if we could connect to the internet, since we have
servers running in other locations and since PIDS doesn't need a lot of
bandwidth we find that it works well over long hauls.  At RSNA, most of
the time one couldn't see any difference between running locally (same
machine) or over the internet.

Dave