Re: [COAS-List] use cases for metaknowledge about source

Larry,

For the first use case, the vocabulary may be a "standard" one (e.g. UMLS,
SNOMED International, ICD-9, etc.), or it may be a proprietary one.  LQS
needs to know the knowledge domain (e.g. vocabulary type) in order to do
translations.  Therefore, in addition to location (which might be the
"knowledge domain" for proprietary vocabularies) there should also be an
explicit reference to a specific vocabularly.

At 06:31 PM 6/29/98 -0700, Larry Hamel wrote:
>y'all,
>
>In discussions with CareFlow|Net (Juggy--pls. jump in if I miss anything),
>a few use-cases came up which seem to point up the benefits of
>"info-source" metaknowledge as part of a COAS reply.
>
>The first case involves vocabulary translation.  Say that a COAS lab server
>uses a proprietary code "redbc" to indicate a count of red blood cells.
>(this example is entirely fabricated.)  In order to use a Lexical Query
>Service (LQS) to translate this "redbc" label, it seems that the recipient
>will need to know where the information is coming from.
>
>The second case involves an enterprise with many COAS servers which may
>contain similar information.  For example, consider an enterprise with 3
>report repositories, all COAS servers.  Say that a query for all reports
>for patient Jones returns two lists, and that a COAS client receives a
>unified list from a middleware layer.  It seems best to include
>"info-source" metaknowledge with results in this case so that a client can
>query the direct source of the information.
>
>The third case concerns filtering and access control.  For example, if a
>result comes from a COAS server for psychiatric evaluations with special
>restrictions, we may want to do extra access control or logging before
>passing that information onwards.
>
>There is some metaknowledge inherent in a Patient ID which contains a
>domain.  Should all COAS responses have a PatientID domain as an included
>parameter or required field?   What other "info-source" metaknowledge, if
>any, is necessary to accommodate the cases above?
>
>cheers,
>
>larry

Bob Glicksman
Director, MedGRiD Program
Integrated Clinical Solutions

bobg@medgrid.philips.com              Philips Medical Systems
voice:  (650) 426-2551                2171 Landings Drive
fax:    (650) 426-2550                Mountain View, CA 94043-0837
Pager:  800-759-7243, PIN# 4856736