Re: [COAS-List] Re: Relationship (Service?)

Hi all,

Here are my replies to mails from Chuck, Peter and Jon in one package
deal!

Chuck said........
> P.S.  Reading over what I have just written, maybe we need to define
> "relationship".  It is clear to me that COAS will be able to express,
> retrieve, etc. relationship instances.  It is also clear to me that a
> health care enterprise needs to manage the activities, roles, and care
> givers who perform these activities in the various roles.  Somemechanism
> is clearly needed to help with this management activity.  I am not sure I
> would call it a relationship service though.
Here is what I think of as a "relationship". This isnt a definition,though.
A "relationship" (that is served by a relationship service) is an
association between two entities/objects that is valid over a time period.
It has, as attributes (in the OO sense), the related objects (2 or more),
the relationship-type (that classifies the relationship, for example
isPrimaryCarePhysicianof), and a context. Using Peter's example. Smith has
a 'isPrimaryCarePhysicianOf' relationship with Chuck under the context of
a particular 'referral'.
The management activity that Chuck mentions will probably use this service
to do its business!

Chuck, in response to your question about what use this will be,we can use
this service outside of HRAC. For example, if you wanted to find
all patients of a particular physician, you could look up the relationship
service.

Peter said...
> >So, do we need an actual relationship service, or are relationships
> >so deeply embedded into other services, such as Record locator,
> >Demographics, Encounter management, Enterprise management and even
> >COAS and CIAS that, ultimately, a relationship service would
> >imply a separation of concerns that would be impossible to achieve?
> >On the other hand, the appearence of relationships in so many places,
> >suggests the need for reuse.

Indeed,  relationships are deeeply embedded in systems, and supporting a
relationship service will bring to the forefront those relationships, and
make manipulation by third party objects more feasible. I think, thats
what Jon implies. We might have redundancy, but given there are
requirements (like HRAC etc.), this seems good enough.

Peter talks about observation vs observationqualifier.....
> >because the latest COAS model has an "Observation Qualifier" which,
> >inter alia, is intended as a means of recording the identity of the
> >"observer".  On reflection, I would say that COAS should be thinking
> >about recording the identity of the -relationship- between the
> >observer and observed (usually the patient) rather than just the
> >identity of the observer.  In so many clinical contexts it is the

Peter, what you said points out a need to define what is it that
completely defines a relationship. Maybe somebody can add more attributes
to  the previous list.
Ofcourse, a "context" seems indispensable. In fact I have been thinking we
will probably have relationships between the same entities, with the same
timeperiod, but different contexts. Reusing the previous example, Smith is
a PrimaryCarePhysician of Chuck under the context of a referral
_as well as_ an encounter, do you agree?

Jon suggested.........
>Therefore I propose that we agree on a conceptual model for relationships
>and then proceed in parallel with interfaces for a relationship service
>and other services. I also feel that the relationships service needs to
>stay at person-level (as PIDS did) so that it is fully functional for,
>but not limited to, healthcare.
I agree with the first sentence, but I am not clear what the second means.
Are you saying there are no relationships between entities that are not
persons that are interesting enough to be included in a relationship
service? What about relationships like a contract between an HCP and an
insurance company? Or between an insurance company (of type "isPayorFor")
a patient?

Jinny.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler" - Albert Einstein -
Jinny Uppal,                                   E-mail: jinnyu@usa.net
SCS,Florida International University,                  juppal01@cs.fiu.edu
Miami, Florida (The SunShine State)      Phone (Work): 305-348-4038