Re: [COAS-List] COAS - Various

Please allow me to remind the ever-growing COAS submitter's team ONE MORE
TIME that the original intent of COAS was to consider the COMMON problems
associated with observational data (e.g. identification, location, access)
and to solve these, leaving the specifics for later RFPs and responses.
Richard -- I couldn't agree with you more that the whole problem space of
clinical observations is HUGE and will take longer than the indicated time
to model (perhaps longer than our working lifetimes)!  So PLEASE -- let's
refocus our efforts and come up with an immediate solution to the specific
FRAMEWORK problem space.

Please note that I am trying to put together a CIAS submitters team to
consider all of the issues involved in the limited space of accessing
non-diagnostic clinical image data.  Other RFPs are in process for
transcribed reports, and I'd like to see the Lab folks get one going too.
Let's eat this elephant one bite at a time and NOT try to figure out how to
swallow it whole.  If we do, we will all starve amid the adundance of food!

If anyone REALLY wants to tackle anything OTHER than the framework and
measurement data as the required (by the RFP) specific data type, then
PLEASE avail yourselves of your rights to form a competing team and
submission of your own.  We really will not be offended -- we will get two
or more submissions which will be easier to harmonize that trying to do
everythin on one team (IMHO).

Richard, Peter and other modelers -- I'm 99.999% sure that your models can
be harmonized rapidly at the "framework" level.  Let's please get together
and feast on this elephant, one bite at a time!  Please!

At 03:28 PM 7/16/98 +0100, Richard Dixon wrote:
>Dear All,
>Firstly, let me apologise for not having responded here sooner.  I have
>finally caught up with the RFP and backlog of emails (and there have been
>quite a few!).
>
>There are a number of points I would like to raise.  Since many of these
>will refer to the EHCR-SupA project, I will explain that (for those who are
>not aware of it) first.
>
>EHCR-SupA (Electronic HealthCare Record Support Action) is an EU funded
>project which officially began in October 1997.  Its aims are twofold:
>
> -  To gather in work that has been done on models for EHCRs across Europe
>(and further afield where appropriate) and produce a revised EHCR
>Architecture which will be proposed for CEN to adopt.
> -  To disseminate its work and the reasons for it, across Europe and
>further afield as appropriate
>
>The requirements, use case scenarios and models are/will be drawn from GEHR,
>CEN, SYNAPSES, I4C, STAR, RICHE, NUCLEUS and many other projects and bodies
>(also taking into account things coming out of e.g CORBAmed and HL-7).
>
>The principles of the first version of the EHCRA have been received
>favourably by CEN and are currently undergoing peer review.  Shortly after
>this, it will be available in the public domain.
>
>It has been mentioned before that (in COAS) we are not just considering
>observations which are in a patient record.  Well, although in a sense
>that may be true, equally I believe one could consider that any observation
> recorded about a patient anywhere in what ever format is part of a Health
>Care Record Fragment.  Taking that stance, the principles and user
>requirements that apply to the EHCR will, for the most part, apply to any
>such fragment  at least from the COAS perspective.
>As an aside, the user requirements/scenarios for EHCR-SupA which are the
>distillation of requirements from all the contributory sources, is in the
>process of  being collated  this is a very large document in itself.  We
>(in EHCR-SupA) would welcome any additional requirements/use cases from the
>folks in COAS which may have been overlooked.
>
>Having read through the emails and the RFP, and  IMHO the results coming
>from EHCR-SupA address most of the identified requirements and  scenarios
>presented in COAS.  Interestingly, I also believe it solves (or goes a fair
>way towards solving at least) the RLS issue of making a summary of
>information available.
>
>I had a long and really good discussion with Peter (Nicklin) recently to
>compare our modelling thoughts and efforts.  I believe we both found it
>productive but there is still more to discuss (Peter, I will probably follow
>this email with a phonecall).
>To address some specific issues arising from emails:
>
>The question of grouping of data was one that, as I understand it, gave
>CEN and implementors of their pre-standard, some headaches.  The EHCR-SupA
> [...]
Bob Glicksman
Director, MedGRiD Program
Integrated Clinical Solutions

bobg@medgrid.philips.com              Philips Medical Systems
voice:  (650) 426-2551                2171 Landings Drive
fax:    (650) 426-2550                Mountain View, CA 94043-0837
Pager:  800-759-7243, PIN# 4856736