[COAS-List] Re: MP&E

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay K. Brinton <brinton@adelphia.net>
To: 'Jon Farmer' <jfarmer@caredatasystems.com>
Cc: 'Spangler, Rick' <richard.e.spangler@cpmx.saic.com>
Date: Thursday, July 09, 1998 8:07 PM
Subject: RE: MP&E

Hi John,

Manufacturing, Process, and Engineering (MP&E) is a cousin to Internal
Research and Development (IR&D -- pronounce it IRAD) in SAIC.

We should probably talk again by phone.  There are a few issues that come to
mind:

1)  I was hoping that the federation would be built into your Java PIDS MPI
wrapper, and that the search down (or up for that matter) could be
configurable to take place in an unattended manner.

I agree.

  The use of CORBA Naming is perfect -- I believe that is the recommendation
in the PIDS spec, no?

yes it is.

2)  If the client handled the federation, then where would correlation take
place?
It would take place on the server but be invoked (register ids) from the
client.

  I saw the client as the initiator of the lookup, and possibly also a
federation configuration client for the PIDS-based MPI, but not the
dispatcher of all PIDS invocations.

I have mixed reactions on this.  Perhaps we should have a server-side agent
that mediates the server-server coordination.  Which is in fact a PIDS
client but not an end-user interface.  I am curious how Chris feels on it.

3)  I guess doing it the way you describe has advantages in terms of
simplifying intellectual property issues -- all the work is done external to
the Care Data EMPI.  Are you proposing it this way for that reason and/or
Care Data cannot currently take on the financial/manpower burden of making
these enhancements to the EMPI?  (I can certainly understand if this is the
case.)

If we get our new hire then we can cover it easily and quickly.  If not then
it would wait until John Landers begins his scheduled SAIC-related PIDS
enhancements. this Fall.  Chris might be able to commnet on this as well.
We are now doing some locator experimentation for TeamSAIC that might affect
the design as well.

4)  Just for the sake of trying to gauge this activity as you described it,
what would you estimate (ballpark/WAG will do for now) would be the
composite hours involved using your new hire?

240 hours. (6 full-time weeks) for basic stable prootoytpe.  I suspect that
the ultimate user interface would then be attained by 240 more hours.  This
is knee-jerk.

We have scheduled the beginning of our PIDS Java client for last week of
this month.  It will do PIDS-based searches but will also do
Schema-dependent JDBC retrivals of visit history and insurances from an SQL
repository.  It will be productized, but we will then want to factor-out and
parameterize the schema dependiencies.  Maybe we should model insurances as
observations and call it COAS (half kidding).  If we transparentize the
distributed search by sticking it all into the IdentifyPerson operation on
the server (as a configurable behavior) then this client-side work of ours
will leverage the distributed search for free, but then the server-side
logic is subject to property rights.

How about creating the distributed-query-and-self-regsitering version as an
alternative implementation fo the same PIDS interfaces?  I would still be
server-side-only but we would need something like a royalty agreement for
one of us.

Look forward to discussing this further.

Regards,
Jay