My Friday Talk

Hi all,
Now that you have (hopefully!) marked your calendars, I'd like to give a
brief idea of the upcoming presentation. This Friday we are going to
discuss two components that contribute to the building of the CPR:

1. Demographic Component: An organization like a Health Care Provider
deals with people on a daily basis. The people take on different roles
with respect to the organization. To increase the quality of interaction
between people and the organization, it becomes important to store
demographic information about the people and their roles in a manner that
is easy to maintain and makes the information readily available whenever
required.
We shall discuss a possible solution to the problem of maintaining
Demographic information within the distributed health care model. I would
like to point out that the problem of maintaining Demographic information
is not unique to Healthcare organizations. It is about people and their
demographic information and a solution could be useful to any organization
that has a high volume of interaction with people/organizations.

2. Relationship Service: One of the first things I learned about objects
was "Objects have relationships". Indeed, most often an object has atleast
one relationship with another object and it stores knowledge of this
relationship with its definition. And if another entity knows about this
object, it also knows it's relationships. However, it is often the case
that an entity is more interested in the relationship than in the
participating objects. Such an entity might not know where the
relationship exists or how it is maintained. So the problem is that of
making important relationships available to public in a manner that is
convenient and efficient.
We shall discuss issues that arise when one tries to solve this problem in
a distributed world that has legacy systems and discuss possible
approaches.

Hope to see you all there!
Jinny.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler" - Albert Einstein -
Jinny Uppal,                                   E-mail: jinnyu@usa.net
SCS,Florida International University,                  juppal01@cs.fiu.edu
Miami, Florida (The SunShine State)      Phone (Work): 305-348-4038