Re: [COAS-List] Proposed ObservationData IDL

charles.carman@philips.com wrote:

> I am also uncomfortable (along Dave's line of argument) with operations returning ANYs containing structures of ANYs.

As I responded to Dave on this point I would be quite happy for the data type to be used for interoperability being the one currently defined in the COAS spec as long as the operations returned an ANY.  Dave seemed to see some value in this too.

The main point is that returning an ANY does not prevent the service from future improvements in data types (e.g. objects by value) AND it allows local agreements for even tighter data structure interoperability.

Tim