Re: [COAS-List] moving between QueryAccess and BrowseAccess

Charles Carman writes:
 > Dave,
 >
 > I agree that how the ObservationIDs are returned by a COAS server is not
 > obvious from the IDL, because it is not explicitly IN the IDL, only lumped
 > in the generic ObservationQualifier stuff, and in the text of the submission.
 > [Larry, we need to add an explicit Qualifier Code for the COAS
 > ObservationID.  Maybe this would help clear up some of the confusion about
 > how ObservationIDs are returned.]
 >
 > About your example, let me see if I understand your use-case.  A user asks
 > a COAS server for all the images for a specific person, but they do not
 > want the images sent initially, just the supporting data.  The QueryAccess
 > interface seems appropriate for this, using a Policy to not return any
 > ObservationValues (as opposed to QualifierValues which are the values of
 > the ObservationQualifiers).  Now, the user want to be able to selectively
 > retrieve the images themselves.  This could be done using ObservationIDs
 > and the get_observation() operation in the QueryAccess interface, or the
 > get_value...(?) operation in the BrowseAccess interface if we had
 > ObservationRemote references back from the response to the initial query.
 >
 > The primary purpose of the BrowseAccess interface is to browse lower in the
 > ObservationData hierarchy, but in this example, the only things lower in
 > the hierarchy are the images themselves, and COAS does not support browsing
 > through the header data of images (unless that header data is also made
 > available by the COAS server as ObservationQualifiers).  Dealing with the
 > image specific header information is the responsibility of the CIAS
 > interface, for which a submission team is in the process of forming.  [If
 > you want to join the team being organized by Philips, or learn more about
 > it, send e-mail to Yasser Alsafadi at yha@philabs.research.philips.com].

I agree that COAS isn't dealing with images, but neither is the request
I'm making.  I claim there are many cases where one wants to browse
lower in the ObservationData hierarchy and that is all I'm asking for.
If I can't return an ObservationRemote  in the Any, then I can't browser
lower in the hierarchy.  My example doesn't get images, but gets some
additional complex information such as a list of URL's which aren't
needed to be sent to the client until they are asked for with the
BrowseAccess interface.  If you include the plicy as indicated below, I
can do what I want to do within the specification.  Later we can add
more explicit Image access with CIAS. I can express every element of the
ImageStudy we have with existing atomic components of ObservationValue.
There are just a lot of details that I don't want to have to retrieve
until I need to, and the suggestion I'm making would take care of this
(as well as our Attachment example).

I'll send email to Yasser about helping with CIAS.

Thanks,

Dave