[COAS-List] Re: [hrac resources]

Gentle colleagues:

  I'm Lost!

  I have 12 years of experience in the computer security field:
most of which was spent attempting to understand the deeper
mysteries of access control and mediation (what we're basically
talking about in HRAC) and the associated models that attend
those disciplines.

  Despite all of that, I don't have a clue what you're all
talking about.  Or maybe, I have a clue, but can't believe that
you're making it so hard!

  Let's back up a bit...

  In my model of the world:

  A RESOURCE is the kind of entity - which in HRAC is NOT a
*CORBA* object - to which access must be controlled.  Examples
of RESOURCEs would be: records in a specific database, drug
prescriptions, medical professionals' credentials, and so on.

  A RESOURCE INSTANCE is a specific example of the entity to
which access must be controlled.  Examples of RESOURCE
INSTANCEs would be: one record in a specific database, a drug
prescription for a specific patient, and the medical
credentials for a specific doctor.

  A RESOURCE ID is the handle, or name, by which the HRAC is
able to uniquely identify the resource it has been given and
thereby determine which policies must be used to decide whether
the supplied credentials indicate sufficient and necessary
authorization to allow access to the resource instance(s)
that it (the HRAC) is given to process.

  RESOURCE SECURITY METADATA is the set of information, which
is either externally associated with a RESOURCE (e.g., provided
as a label on a file) or is a subset of the data that comprises
the RESOURCE (e.g., the HIV-Result field of a blood-test record),
that is used explicitly by one or more HRAC policies as the
basis for an access decision.

  As near as I can figure, my confusion is the result of most
people on this discussion equating the RESOURCE with the
RESOURCE SECURITY METADATA.  I see no problem with creating
an ADO interface that accepts only the RSM, but I am concerned
that we not confuse people by mis-labeling the RSM as a
RESOURCE.

-DMC